Advice On Selecting Insurance For Learner Drivers

If you’re a provisional licence holder in the UK, you’ll need to get insurance before you can start driving on public roads. There are a few different things to keep in mind when choosing a policy, such as the type of cover you need, the cost, and the terms and conditions.

What type of cover do you need?

There are three main types of car insurance available in the UK:

  • Third party – This is the minimum level of cover required by law and covers you for damage to other people’s cars or property or injuring someone. It won’t cover any costs for damage to your own car.
  • Third party, fire and theft – This is one step up from third party insurance and can cover you for any damage to your car caused by fire or theft.
  • Comprehensive – This is the most comprehensive type of insurance and covers you for all types of damage to your car, including accidents caused by you or someone else.

As a provisional licence holder, you’ll need to have at least third party insurance. However, you may want to consider third party, fire and theft, or even comprehensive insurance, if you can afford it. Consider the cost of repairing or replacing your car.

How much does insurance cost for provisional licence holders?

There are a few things you can do to reduce the cost of your insurance, such as:

The cost of insurance for provisional licence holders varies depending on a number of factors, such as your age, the type of car you’re driving, and your driving experience. Comprehensive insurance may be less expensive than you think, so consider getting quotes for all levels of insurance.

  • Choosing a smaller, less powerful car
  • Adding a named driver to your policy (such as a parent or experienced friend)
  • Getting a black box fitted to your car. Black boxes track your driving habits and can help to reduce your premium if you’re a safe driver. Warning: bad driving habits can increase your premium, or you could even have your policy cancelled!

What are the terms and conditions of your policy?

It’s important to read the terms and conditions of your insurance policy carefully before you sign up. This will help you to understand what is and isn’t covered, as well as any exclusions or restrictions.

Some things to look out for include:

  • The maximum number of hours you can drive per day/week
  • The maximum mileage you can cover
  • Any restrictions on where you can drive
  • Any restrictions on the times of day you can drive
  • Any excess you’ll need to pay if you make a claim

Where to get insurance from

There are a number of different places where you can get insurance for provisional licence holders. Check out our Find Car Insurance page, or you can compare quotes from different insurers online, or through a broker.

It’s important to compare quotes from multiple insurers before you choose a policy. This will help you to get the best possible deal.


Choosing the right insurance policy for your needs is important, especially if you’re a provisional licence holder. By following the advice above, you can make sure that you’re getting the best possible cover at the best possible price.
We hope this advice helps you to choose the right insurance for your needs. Good luck with your driving lessons!